Thank you, IES-APA Part Deux

Last quarter I wrote about a couple of the books that I purchased for classes using the money I was awarded for a short essay I wrote entitled "The Purpose of Urban and Regional Planning." The $500 award was more than necessary to purchase my books for last quarter, so the remaining funds were used to purchase books this quarter.

The first book I purchased is the fifth edition of Urban Land Use Planning by Berke, Godschalk, Kaiser, and Rodriguez. (Now that I'm typing this out, I recognize Kaiser and Godschalk from an essay I read during my first quarter, "Twentieth Century Land Use Planning," which on my list of articles to review on this blog.) I purchased the book for PLAN 440 (Land Use Planning). Flipping through the pages I see that its pages are highly colorful with the pictures and graphics you'd expect from an undergraduate textbook.

The second book is the second edition of Understanding Your Economy by McLean and Voytek. This is the required textbook for PLAN 504 (Planning Methods II). It is published by the American Planning Association and conforms to the format that I've learned to expect from the APA, even in fonts and horizontal rules. This one, however, is beginning to show its age, as the exhibits are sometimes blurry or indistinct. And, certainly, the data is elderly and I noticed it is using SIC codes (valid from the 1930's) rather than NAICS (established in 1997). This is understandable as this second edition was first published in 1992.

I have one other class this quarter, PLAN 460 (Urban Design), but the bookstore is unaware of any textbooks which may be necessary. But, even if there were a book for it, the $500 ran out with the purchase of the two books above. Still, that's a total of five books which didn't come out of this poor student's wallet, and that is greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an interactive blog for people interested planning in the Spokane region or planning in general.